Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Set Back? At Least I Think it Was!

Trying to stay on a set routine, sort of a scheduled work out, is challenging. Too often, life just gets in the way. After a sketchy June, July had started well for me. Through the first five days I logged 8.5 miles on the trails, pedaled over 50 miles on the highways, and even swam about 500 yards. Tuesday (the 6th) was a scheduled rest day. I was feeling good, healthy, strong. I honored the rest day knowing I was ready to pick up the distance and stay out for as long as possible. Starting Wednesday my workouts were going to increase in duration and intensity.

Because rain was in the forecast, I knew squeezing a dry workout in was going to be difficult. Didn't matter. At some point I was going to hit the streets. However during one storm I decided to stretch the muscles and lift a few dumbbells. Nothing big. Just trying to maintain strength and to somehow find flexibility in this crickety body. After stretching I completed two sets of lunges and still felt strong. Casually I tried a traditional squat. Instant pain shuttered up the back of both legs. My hamstring appeared to fold up into my glut. It felt awful. I was certain it was devastating.

I immediately sat on the couch. My daughter brought me an ice pack. I iced it and massaged it, and then slowly started putting weight on it. Within an hour I did some slow, mindful stretches. I was beginning to feel as if it wasn't as bad as I thought. Later in the day I had to put some local basketball players through a workout. Skills and drills work! Every week I am demonstrating hard and digging low. Today I was worried my legs might not hold. I took a hot bath, massaged the legs a bit more, and walked gingerly around the gym. The hamstrings held.

After dinner I took my daughter to the pool, avoided the deep end, and spent about an hour walking around in the shallows. Frolicking in the pool appeared to be good for the hamies. I then spent the rest of the week babying my legs and avoiding anything athletic. Then on Friday I took the dog around the neighborhood (the big loop), and biked back and forth to the pool with Chloe (twice). By the end of the day my legs felt solid.

Today I ran through the hills of Elver Park...ran for an over an hour. I felt strong and healthy. And besides having no problem with my hamstrings, for the first time in over a month...my knees aren't sore.

Makes one wonder if rest (and injury) can make one stronger!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    Glad to read you had a quick recovery and played it smart. Those injuries if aggravated can take a lot longer to heal these days then when back at high school or Madison. When I was into heavy mileage running I read some interesting articles on taking a break for a few weeks and instead of daily training, maybe every 2-3 days to do a more intense shorter run to just keep the base built up, so I have no doubt that as we grow older the rest and recuperation periods are equally as important as the running, biking, weights, ect.
    Getting ready for my own 50 experience on 30 July. Have a few solo nights in the mountains late next week, then a few more days with Gustav around my actual birthday, then a week with my wife in early August. Got some mountain time to make up for with the new hip. All going well. I won't be running any more marathons anytime soon, but being in the hills is very real. Keep up the good work my friend.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robb, I am glad to hear that you are returning to the mountains. Obviously it was important for you to return the Ruahines for your 50th. And so cool that it appears you will be making the venture several times.

    This training is really quite interesting. Some days I feel great and some days I feel as if I have 50 year old knees. Yet overall I feel quite good about being in this kind of shape. I am still struggling to take off a few pounds, but hey... at age 50 I can run a hilly six mile course.

    Take care and enjoy your last couple of weeks in your 40's.

    ReplyDelete