Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What is Birkyness?

On a most basic level, Birkyness is nothing more than a cheap ripoff of the movie In Pursuit of Happyness. Metaphorically however, Birkyness defines a way of life. Or at least a way of life which I want to chase.

On Saturday February 20, 2010, I turn 50. Obviously it's a big deal ... and something that seems to have snuck up on me. Sure I could see it coming, but still I am having a hard time fathoming the idea that I am 50. And yet as I reflect on this milestone, and the reality of being a half century old, I am struck by my desire to do some things. You know, to mark some things off of my life list.

I would like to ....
  • Hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (and back out)
  • Earn "The Ruahine Tramping Club Badge" by hiking in New Zealand with my college buddy Robb Kloss (check out his awesome blog: http://ruahineramblings.blogspot.com/)
  • Hike the John Muir Trail (hopefully parts of it with my blogging friend Allan over at http://threehundredsixtyfivewalks.blogspot.com/)
  • Hike to the top of Half Dome
  • See Denali
  • Canoe a remote northern river
  • Bike 100 miles in a single day
  • Ski the American Birkebeiner.

It is not difficult to see that each of these dreams share one common and necessary ingredient - a high level of fitness. Something I lost while in my 40's.

So to me, Birkyness is quite simple to define and quite difficult to achieve. Birkyness is about being fit enough to hike any mountain, canoe any river, bike any trail whenever and wherever I want.

The way I figure it, if I can ski the American Birkebeiner in any given February, then I will have prepared myself to start checking off the items on the list in any given adventure.

4 comments:

  1. Larry,

    Your list is nearly identical to mine! Let's get these things checked off!

    And it is sobering to come up on the big 50! I will turn 48 in March. Technically, my 50th year on the planet...

    allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Larry,
    Good stuff! A worthy list as well. I have a badge here waiting for you brother! I am aiming my next tramp for July and my own 50th birthday, as well as the first time trying out my new hip. I go under the knife on 8 April so hopefully 3 months of getting stronger and used to it will aloow me to celebrate that day with a few mates in the mountains. 50 eh! As I wrote to you earlier I can still recall the many days of endless hoops games with various characters, but always a good squad, and the many nights replacing all those lost fluids. One goal I would have is to revisit Madison, and particularly the Rathskellar and Terrace for a reunion.
    I was training for the Berkie back in my Milwaukee days, but had to pull out in the end with shin splints. It is tough hilly course and I celebrated with my 3 mates who did it long into the winter night.
    Happy birthday my friend!
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan,

    Let's put a tentative date on the calendar for JMT! Always fun to plan something that is a ways out.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robb,

    The Ruahine is on the list...now I just need to find the money and time to hop half way across the world.

    I will be sending you good vibrations over the next couple of months as you both prepare for your surgery and rehabilitate from it. Eighteen months ago I had surgery to repair a bad shoulder (old man shoulder as I called it). Although it was painful and the rehab was a slow and tiresome process, today I have full range and never feel any pain.

    I know a shoulder is not a hip, but I am certain that in the long run you will find yourself healthier.

    And I would love nothing more than to tip one back with you down at the Rathskellar.

    Take care my friend!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete