Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wisconsin Winterland

Trying to stay fit during Wisconsin winters is no easy task. I have skied several times this winter, but remaining consistent is the biggest challenge. Each day I try to do something. If the weather is inviting I will slap on the skis, or take a two mile jog -- just enough to keep the legs and the lungs in shape -- or sometimes I will just take the dog around the neighborhood park. When the weather is too cold and uninviting I will lift some dumb bells, or pull on the rowing machine for about 30 minutes. But other than the skiing, none of these activities challenge my soft, aging body.

I look forward to March and to spring ... to cruising through Elver Park with the dog. Elver is a fantastic urban park, one perfect for the locals trying to get fit. The widely cut ski trails will become a terrific off-road training ground; the steep sledding hill will become a great place to improve strength and endurance; the flats are plentiful enough where I will be able to work on speed.

But today I only dream about spring...for the fourth straight night we got at least an inch of snow and more is predicted tonight. I will take advantage of the snow on my day off this Friday, but really, at this point, I want warmth and sunshine and dry ground. Next year, as I train specifically for the Birkie, I will welcome the snow, but today I look forward to starting my dry-land training.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. It is raining here today--it is supposed to rain for the next ten days. Rain like this soaks you to the bone. The sun becomes but a memory. Will this ever end?

    ReplyDelete