Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Observations of Six + Months of Training

After six months of training, and with less than six months to go before the Birkie, it is time to reflect upon this long journey.
  • Training seldom goes as planned: whether a pulled hamstring, an innocent bike crash, or a five-day flu bug in the middle of August, the training schedule has been anything but seamless.
  • Gradual progress is real: During my first run, way back in March, I struggled my way though 2.1 miles...walking more than I ran. Today I was out for an hour and twenty three minutes, fought my way up several killer hills, and never lost my stride.
  • Ezra is a top-notch running companion: although she eliminates too much, although she sometimes drags a bit going up hills, and although she is too easily destracted by the rabbits and turkeys, this dog is always up for a run. Her perky ears, her wagging tail, and a relentless spirit always push my motivation and desire.
  • Less than six months to go and my trepidation for the Birkie remains high. I am in terrific shape, stronger than I have felt since the late 90's, and yet still the 50 km race seems incredibly daunting.
  • Running is a great addiction!
  • My strength training must improve: I do lift weights, but I must improve my consistency. Push-ups, dumb-bell work, planks, and other core work are all going to help get me over the difficult hills on the Birkie trails.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    Wow, six months! Time flies. Good to read you are feeling positive and your fitness at high levels. Interesting, now that I no longer run, only bike, walk, and tramp, I have been rejuvenated by lifting weights. Just a quick 30-35 minute workout 3 times per week encompassing back, chest,lats, shoulders, and arms. Definitely has made a difference. For my 50th I wanted to compare my bench press now to when I played grid iron at La Crosse. Benched 225 lbs. 15 times, which pleased me, and certainly comparable to the level I was at back in the 80's. It is said that when we hit our 40's we lose muscle mass at a much faster rate, so a bit of weight training is really more vital than we realize. In any case mate, keep on truckin', it all seems to be lining up for you, and the results just getting to the starting line will be worth the effort. Kia kaha my friend.
    Robb

    ReplyDelete