Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Heat, Humidity, and Distance

Like much of the country, Wisconsin is right smack in the middle of a heat wave. Today the predictions have us reaching at least 92 with a heat index upwards of 105. Too hot to do much of anything, except maybe a soak in the pool.

But when I started this training I vowed to not let weather discourage me. In the past I have always been a fair-weather athlete, and living in Wisconsin --and its variety of cold, snow, ice, rain, and heat-- I always had plenty of excuses to avoid physical activity. So today I arose early and was in Elver Park before 6:00 am. No excuses!

The run started slowly as I felt sluggish and sticky. By the time I hit the woods and the shade of Elver I was feeling a little better. I followed my usual six mile route--six hills and very little concrete--always a pleasant run. Ezra was also handling the heat well and was specifically enjoying running her snout through the dew-filled grass. Knowing that the rest of the day would find me avoiding the heat I decided to push the envelope a bit. Since I have been wanting to increase my distance, and since I was feeling pretty strong and fresh, I decided to take the long way home.

With the dog still looking fresh and happy I took the challenge. Instead of turning over towards my neighborhood streets I decided to head back down the hill one more time, cross Gammon Road, and make my way home through Greentree Park. I knew this detour would add about two miles to the run. As I left the shade of Elver and hit the sunny pavement of Greentree I suddenly knew that it was as hot as advertised. Yet still I stayed focused on my breathing and my stride.

I could tell Ezra was hot and thirsty, yet still the bounce in her step kept me motivated. If she could handle eight miles, and if she could fight through her thirst and this heat, certainly I could. And so, slowly and methodically Ezra and I made our way home--completing eight miles in one hour and 11 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I love the new photo...and am feeling ever more convicted over your training activities. Think I'll just have another beer and feel guilty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Larry,
    Awesome run, the best ones happen when we feel it. That is improvement. I agree with Allan, the new photo is cool. Rave on.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete