Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Birkebeiner: An American Adventure?

Last week I came across a National Geographic Adventure Magazine that I bought in the spring of 2009. I assume I bought it because it lists the top 50 American Adventures. First on the list is biking the Continental Divide Trail, next up is kayaking across Yellowstone Lake to the Thorofare region, then comes rowing down the Grand Canyon, and climbing Mount Ranier. Adventure after enticing adventure is described. Makes for a nice life list ... especially if one is young and fit. Surprisingly, #14 on the list says "Ski the Birkebeiner." Although I have never really considered my goal to ski the Birkie as an adventure, apparently the editors of this magazine disagree:

"When 7,000 cross-country skiers convene at the start of the Birkie, the largest, most vaunted ski race in the country, it's a maelstrom of adrenaline, camaraderie, knit caps, and Northwoods spectacle. Rank amateurs go toe to toe with world's elite to gun for a personal best or a piece of the $20,000 purse. The 50K course is gorgeous anytime, but the race is worth planning your life around."

As I began training for the race I looked at the whole process as something more than just a future ski race. My goal was to use the training to prepare myself for the rest of my life and my future adventures. The words "the race is worth planning your life around" spoke to me and are exactly why I am putting my body through a 12 month "rehabilitation process."

Since undergoing this assault on my body I have come to realize that all of my runs, my bike rides, my swims, my hikes, and even my walks with the dog are all subtly preparing my for a trip down into the Grand Canyon, or to the top of Half Dome, or maybe even to a long paddle in and around Prince William Sound.

Besides the almost daily specific training runs and rides, I have also spent several days simply playing. My wife and I spent a morning mountain biking through the Chequamegan National Forest. I kayaked the Turtle River, hiked in the Porcupine Mountains, and biked through the trails of the Northern Highland-American Legion Forest. At home, nearly everyday, instead of driving, I am biking to the pool, or the fish market, or the movies. For much of the summer I have put my car away and instead am trying to use my bicycle to run simple errands.

When I started this adventure my dream felt big, maybe even a bit undoable; but now, over 500 miles later I am starting to understand the power of birkyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment