Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just Keep Running

Beautiful night to hit the hills of Elver yesterday. About 60 degrees, virtually windless, and a mostly sunny run. I was only planning for a 30 minute run, but the good weather and a happy dog got to me. The final clocking was 43 minutes -- which equals somewhere between 4 and 4.5 miles. It feels really good to have my body back to where a 30 minute run is just wetting the appetite.

I am looking forward to the routine of two summers ago -- run on one day and then bike the next. Consistency and single-mindedness. My success in both fitness level and weight loss will come from me staying focused on the workouts.

Tonight my workout is going to take a different twist. I am playing in the student - staff Relay for Life basketball game. I believe I have the distinction of being the oldest player in the game. Should be scary. I used to have some game, but now at the age of 52 the strengths to my game have disappeared. I no longer have a quick first step, or the ability to outwork or out-hustle my opponent, or the ability to explode on any shot.

So just planning to take a couple of stints on the court, hoping to get off a couple of shots ... maybe even make one -- and then let the younger and more flexible younger staff try to finish off the students. Should be great fun.

1 comment:

  1. Elver park is an sleeper of a spot to run. Very pretty and though running. I hardly every see anyone else on the trails. I live about a mile from the park and run the XC trails often. If you are every looking for someone to run with hit me up for a meet-up.

    Geoffrey

    ReplyDelete