Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Center Must Hold

My training has taken an early detour. Still running, got the bike tuned up, and seem to be getting outside everyday. But I am actually going at this fitness thing quite slowly, with the sole purpose of creating a strong foundation now, in order to gain strength and stamina later.

The more I read ChiRunning the more intrigued I become. At this point, when I run my shins still hurt, and just as Dreyer predicted, my stamina is actually getting worse. Currently my runs are a slow 30 minutes. Intentionally and pragmatically. I am not worried about speed or distance...only my posture. As I type this entry I sit with my belly pulled in, my collarbone stretched high, and my pelvis set into its proper place (Never really realized the pelvis had a proper place). More importantly, I run (or at least I try) holding my column straight. Constantly I check the position of my posture, the lean of my gait, and the manner in which I lift my feet. It's tiring. It's hard to stay focused. And yet I love the way this running philosophy forces me to stay tuned into my body. The way it encourages me to let my spine and my abdomensto do the work. On my last couple runs I have hit an effortless stride for several minutes. Just haven't been able to sustain it. Good runs are coming! Just gotta stay focused.

Yet as I wait for those good runs to return I am working to change my stride. I am trying to bounce, not plod around the streets. I am trying to land on the balls of my feet and then pick them up, not land, roll and push off my tippy-toes. Leaving the ground from your toes is bad! So I am told. My arms and legs should follow the center of my body. The center does the work...the arms and legs just move along beside it. Build the core, strengthen the center, find the true power in the body. It's really that simple.

In the meantime, I continue to get outside every day, and I continue to push for more strength and stamina. It's a long journey!

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious how this Chi Running thing turns out.

    JMT 2012!!??

    allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry,
    Great to see you found ChiRunning.

    ChiRunning suggests you land on the midfoot (fullfoot) to minimize any effort/tension in the lower legs/ankles/feet - meaning minimize any effort in your extremities and allow you center/core (position) to do the work. A relaxed lower leg/ankle/foot will also minimize resistance to your forward fall. ChiRunning also suggests minimizing bounce in the vertical direction when trying to be efficient in the horizontal direction.

    ChiRunning Simplified! video:
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26liWMDH8U

    Enjoy,
    David.

    David Stretanski
    ChiRunning®/ChiWalking® Certified Instructor
    Website: http://www.eChiFitness.com
    Blog: http://blog.eChiFitness.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan,

    Yeah me too. I had a good run yesterday and am starting to see some progress.

    I have the JMT penciled in for 2012...however I can't put it in pen until I get the okay from Carri. In the meantime, let's just continue to get into shape!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,

    Thanks for your thoughts. I am struggling with the step process of Chi Running. My posture is pretty good, I have a handle on the lean, but it seems as though I am still rolling off of my toes. Lots of years of bad habit obviously.

    Anyway I went to check our the video link you sent me, but it is telling my I need to accept a friend request in order to view it. I don't see that request anywhere. I did go to your Facebook page and joined the group. I am very interested in looking at the video. Do you have any suggestions on how I can open it or find it.

    Thanks for checking out the blog.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry,
    I sent you an email with alternate video links.

    Rolling off the toes requires some work at really letting the lower leg let go. See the email for some suggestions on this.

    Let me know if you did not get the email.
    David.

    ReplyDelete