Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Effortless, Injury-Free Running: If It Works, I'm Buying It!

Over the past week it has become obvious that our days on the snow are likely over for this ski season. After about eight days of high temperatures well over the freezing mark, and the last three in the upper 40's, it is time to turn my attention to dry-land training; subsequently, my thoughts have turned to running and bicycling.

Although I enjoy running I have two physical issues that I constantly battle while trying to run: shin splints and recovery time. The shin splints have been a problem since high school, and the extra time necessary to recover is likely a direct link to my age.

Knowing that I am going to need to log many miles before next ski season, I began searching the internet for tips on both prevention of injury and reducing recovery time. On Amazon.com I stumbled across a book called ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer. ChiRunning bases itself on a set of principles that helps run and train in a more effortless and efficient manner. Exactly the kind of running that I am looking for.

Dreyer believes that injuries, recovery time, and most all physically related conflicts with running are not a product of running itself, but are instead a product of poor form and an unfocused mindset. He makes a compelling case. Dreyer provides multiple examples of how runners use the concepts of T'ai Chi to enhance both the mental and physical aspects of a running and fitness plan.

In explaining his thesis he discusses how T'ai Chi teaches its students to direct movements from points along the spine. The strength of our body originates along this center line and not along the peripherals. He argues that if the strength of a tree is along its trunk, and not its branches and leaves, then the strength of a human body should also be along its trunk. Or its spine! Makes sense to me.

I've always known the importance of strengthening my core, but I also know that I spend more time working on my cardiovascular than I do my foundational strength. But the case Dreyer makes that I find so interesting is that not only should our core be strengthened, but also that all the running we do should originate from this core (the base of the spine) and not from the legs. We should run moving from our center, and letting the arms and legs follow. We should run with a sense of power and connection in our body. He is clear that injuries in running happen because we don't understand our bodies and that we run with our legs and not our spines. Giving attention to the direction of our spine, to the lean in our run, and to the placement of our feet will provide a better balance between our movement and our effort. Simply put we will feel less pain!

In the book Dreyer specifically addresses the two issues I struggle with: chin splints and recovery. He reiterates that chin splints are a cause of bad form and nothing else. Yesterday before my run I went carefully though his approach. I considered my posture and practiced his exercises. I tried to visualize the way in which I need to hold my body, the manner in which I need to lift my feet. It is way too early to know whether or not there is anything to this ChiRunning idea, but what I do know is that I am excited about trying to connect my mind and my body. And I am especially interested in running without have to deal with chin splints!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    John Walker, the great Kiwi gold medalist and former world record holding miler and 1500 runner once wrote the hardest part about going for a run was putting on the shoes and stepping out the door.
    Cheers mate,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robb,

    Tell me about it. After a winter of getting flabby (flabbier is probably the better word choice), getting out the door has been a great challenge. I do however get my bike out of the shop on Friday and am greatly looking forward to cross-training.

    And so far, there has been nothing painless (or effortless) about this ChiRunning thing. But wouldn't painless and effortless running be kind of a paradox.

    Take Care,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete