Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Pain-Free Running

My most immediate goal is now only twenty eight days away. On Saturday April 24th I will run in the Crazylegs Classic. It's a great race and should be a lot of fun. I ran in it once before, probably about ten years ago, back when I was in a lot better shape than I am now. It starts on the Capital Square, circles the Capital, and then heads down State Street. After running up Observatory Drive, the course winds along the Lake Mendota shoreline, finishing five miles later in the middle of Camp Randall Stadium.

A week ago five miles seemed a long way off. However, after running four times this week, I feel much better about the Crazylegs. Slowly I am making progress. Yesterday I ran 2.1 miles, the day after I had run three. It has been a long time since I have been able to run on consecutive days, and the first time I ran three miles since last fall. After a cold Wisconsin winter I am a little heavy, about eight pounds more than I was on the last weekend in September. The extra weight makes running a bit challenging. But gradual progress is being made, in both the running and the weight loss.

The most promising aspect of my last two runs however is that I ran pain free. For years I have struggled with shin splints, since high school actually. Usually it's only a problem in my right shin, but still when it is bad, running is not an option. Recently, during my runs I have stayed mentally focused on my stride and my foot placement. No longer am I lifting off my toes, but am instead trying to be mindful about landing on my mid-foot and trying to lift my foot by bending at the knee. I am trying to stride horizontally rather than vertically. Flowing, not bouncing. It's encouraging. I am at the point now where I believe I can add some mileage to my run, and that all starts with healthy shins.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I envy you as my ortho doc advised me against running. And tennis. No pounding on that fake knee seemed to be the point.

    ReplyDelete