Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Eating My Age...

Slowly I am getting stronger. This morning Ezra and I ran almost three miles. Felt pretty good...yet certainly mindful of the fact that running with Ezra gets me a few "elimination breaks" along the way. Still I'm encouraged. I tweaked my hamstring on Tuesday afternoon, so instead of running, I went for a couple of short bike rides. Today I felt fresh and strong. Seems like an endorsement for cross-training.

I am noticing that this quest for Birkyness is creeping ever so slowly into other aspects of my life. Skiing the Birkie is going to be hard enough, doing it 15 to 20 lbs overweight is clear insanity. Therefore I am not just trying to improve my cardiovascular; I am also trying to lose weight. But my weight loss is not a diet plan, it is instead a conscious effort to eat better, to be more mindful of what I put in my body, and to burn more calories than I take in. Simple right?

In trying to honor this life style change I am currently eating lots of vegetables, beans, fruits, and salads, and then 4-5 times a week eating (and enjoying) some type of meat or fish. In the short time I am trying to avoid breads and pastas, and I am hoping to permanently reduce my cheese and sugars intake. My love affair with cheese and dairy, coupled with my sweet tooth, have always challenged every conceivable food pyramid. No more Snickers bars, no more late night ice-cream, no more Coke-Cola's after work ... no more eating like I'm an 18 yo metabolic machine. Now I am trying to eat closer to the earth, trying to spend time in the kitchen preparing healthy meals, trying to get more energy out of what I put into my body. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment