Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Healthy Choice: Guinness Stout

Two summers ago I was sitting in a brew pub in Granby, Colorado with some buddies. We had spent the day in Rocky Mountain National Park fishing the headwaters of the Colorado. We were spent. The fishing was terrific, but we hadn't brought enough food or water, and the rain and the mountain thunder chased us around all afternoon. We were enjoying the food, the local beers, and the chatter of the locals.

I was devouring an outrageously large cheese burger and polishing off a pint of the local porter when the bartender asked if I wanted another. I told her that although I would love another porter, I didn't think I could afford the calories. She then suggested, that if I wanted another dark beer I should try their stout, as stout beer has fewer calories than most other (non-light) domestic beers. Not believing that a stout could actually function as a healthy choice, but not wanting to discredit her advice, I ordered one. Then after returning to Madison, I got online and learned that Guinness Stout has only 125 calories. Sometimes 15, 30, and even 50 fewer than other beers. By god she was right! And then I toasted a Guinness to the knowledge and wisdom of my bartender.

I tell this story because recently I have been living a bit too cleanly for my own good. Since I started this birkyness training, officially about two months ago, I have watched closely what I eat and have only had a couple of beers and a few glasses of wine. My wife recently showed me LIVESTRONG.com, a website that promotes a healthy and active lifestyle, and more importantly allows me to track everything I put into my body. Basically it tells me how many calories I can consume in a day (2074), subtracts the calories I digest, and adds the calories I burn. Theoretically if I consume less than my allowed intake, I lose weight.

Last night we grilled up some fresh steelhead, complimenting it with sweet potatoes and asparagus. Knowing that I had two active days in a row, knowing I had watched my calorie intake all day, I went to livestrong, and typed in Guinness. There was the beautiful number: 125 calories. I poured a glass, admired its bold texture, and toasted to healthy choices. And then later, after dinner, by the fire pit, I toasted another. Calories be damned! The Birkie is still ten months away!

1 comment: