Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Hill

Today I changed up my routine. I jogged very slowly to the edge of Elver's sledding hill. It is notoriously steep. Endurance athletes, Badger athletes, and pedestrian athletes all ramble up and down its face. Seldom is the hill not it use.


After stretching for a bit I attacked the hill. I concentrated on my posture, my foot placement, and my breathing...all the way to the top. Then I turned and walked slowly back to the bottom. On the second run I still felt pretty good, until the final few paces. Each run up the hill became progressively more difficult, and each time I lost my form, my foot placement, and my breath. I stopped at six.

Painful as it was, I very much enjoyed the workout. The challenge is as much in the head as it is in the physical pain. Continuing to run effectively, despite the lack of oxygen, must become a regular part of my training.

2 comments: