Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Not a Problem Here!

So there are actually competitive recreational joggers out there. It seems that these people, almost exclusively males, actually pay attention to those around them, and will do everything in their aerobic abilities to not be beaten ... on a training run! If someone passes them on the left, they speed up and try to fight them off. If they see someone near their own age and fitness level a short ways in front of them they will pick up the pace and try to reel them in.

Truly, I understand this mentality while running in an organized race, but is it really necessary to win while on a jog through the neighborhood. Can't we do one thing in our life that isn't dependent upon beating the other guy. In fact aren't competitive recreational joggers sort of an oxymoron.

No reason to ever label me as a competitive recreational jogger. I can proudly announce that when I run, I am only focused on moving forward. I want to make it back to the house, not beat the 48 year old stranger 100 yards in front of me. I want the heart to continue to beat long after the run, not falter in a dead sprint down Frisch Road.

I run only to beat myself, and when one runs as slowly and methodically as I do, finishing is reward enough.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora LPH,
    Now you know what has happened to all the old play ground, Red Gym, Nat, pick up basketball players when they can longer play! Keep up the good work Larry, I walked 15 minutes this morning and feel like I did a 5 mile run. Kia kaha.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robb,

    The Red Gym...I always a special affinity for that place. There were nicer gyms, but no where were there softer rims!

    Walking is good! One thing I am learning in my training is the idea of gradual progress. It keeps me believing.

    Take care my friend!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete