Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ramblin' Thru Rain

We awoke to a fine spring storm. Thunder, lightning, and rain made for a lazy morning. I read a bit, finally installed the shelf in my closet that I have put off for months, yet still I was feeling antsy.

After running for three consecutive days, my legs were feeling a bit heavy. I didn't really want to run, and since the stormy weather had turned to a steady drizzle, biking really wasn't an option. But my body was craving exercise. A clue that tells me I am getting stronger and more fit. A fit body seeks fitness, I suppose. Last summer, when I first started running I had trouble running back to back days. My legs would ache and they would demand rest! But I learned on those off days that a long slow walk with Ezra could keep the body primed and the blood pumping.

So I put on my running shoes, slipped on my rain jacket, grabbed Ezra, and went for a nice ramble through an early spring rain. An awesome hour! A year ago I would have used a little rain as an excuse to stay put. Today I found great satisfaction!

Trying to stay off of trails, I wandered the neighborhood sidewalks to the bike bath. Slowly I made my way towards Elver Park. My initial plan was to stay only on the sidewalks thru Elver; then eventually I would climb the hill towards Channel 3 and return home thru those residential neighborhoods. But as I scooted along the maintained bike trail the wooded trails beckoned me. I knew it would be wet, certainly even muddy in some places, but I needed to be in the woods. As I train for the Birkie I am always cognizant of the fact that the Birkie Trail is 31 miles of hills. Little of the race will be flat. Therefore as I get in my workouts I never waste the opportunity that a hill provides. And I knew that immediately to my left stood one of Elver's many notorious climbs. I stepped off and climbed the hill. Ezra, just like the good sled dog she wishes she could be, tries to pull me up the path. But even she tires! Slowly and methodically I jog to the top. Too winded to speak. I stop running, but turn and continue walking east--towards home. When I break the clearing and am standing atop the highest point on Madison's West Side I can now feel the rain hitting my face. I stop to catch my breath, to look over the rooftops, and to enjoy the rain upon my face. A low cloud cover, a tall hill, and rain... Simply mesmerizing!

Running the hill has rejuvenated me...and the rain has washed away my sore muscles! Or at least my thoughts of sore muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment