Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Healing Hills

Tough week! Seemed to spend most of my week fighting a lack of patience. Stuck inside in warm weather? Squirrelly sophomores? Sedentary Seniors? They all chipped in, but my irritation, my orneriness, my crabbiness came mostly from the amount of hours I had to work, and the lack of true exercise I got. Yesterday (Friday), I came home from work, put on the shoes and shorts, and went deep into Elver. The run was quiet...and healing. Ran up several hills, kept the breathing under control, and finished stronger than I started.

Throughout the run I had to face four challenging hills. The cool thing is that they appear in a progressively more difficult manner. The first one is a quick jaunt up the edge of the disc golf course. It finishes beneath a canopy of red pines. When no one is around, it is my favorite place in Elver. The second hill is one that climbs, straightens, and then climbs again. From here the trail drops gradually, for about 300 yards. It's a great stretch in which to recover, because at the end of the decline the trail turns back into the hill and winds its way back up for about half a mile. I hated this hill during the ski season, but today it seemed relatively easy. Then after my down hill recovery I had to face the most challenging hill at Elver...the (sledding) hill. The climb went pretty well. Got the heart rate way up, kept my form (until the very top) and was able to recover without walking (or talking). Gradual progress!

All told, when I was done I had put in my longest run of the year...about 4.5 miles, and successfully climbed four hills. Getting stronger! Feeling more fit!

It's fun...when I have days like yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Good progress! Inspiring! Time for me to start training too. I have a trip planned to the Appy Trail in September....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Larry,
    You are running for me too mate! Interesting the similarities between running to get fit and walking to rehabilitate. The tendency on good runs, or walks, is that while feeling strong there is an urge to push on. It is hard, but wise, to resist that, and let the gains come gradually and deeper.
    What do you think of ths tackle the Pack has drafted? Rather doubt he will start this year, but if they can get a couple guys (the db in particular) to help out the defense I am happy. They need to build an offensive line for the next 4-6 years and this needs to be done within not by free agency. Have a great day.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan,

    The AT in September...now that is a cool hike. I will be interested to hear the details of that one. I am jealous because if I don't get my trips done during summer vacation I have little chance to get one done elsewhere during the year.

    Take care,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robb,

    I am happy to hear how well your rehab is going. I picked up the term "gradual progress" through the ChiRunning book that I read. It is a cool idea in the fact that it helps to stay focused on the present. Your goal of being in the mountains for your 50th birthday is very real and very possible. But push it to fast to quickly and you may not make it..."gradual progress" will indeed get you to the mountains---where your belong.

    As far as the Pack goes I do like their first pick. Not sexy, but a necessary pick. I like the idea of a corn fed giant from Iowa keeping A-Rod off of his back. And I personally believe that A-Rod will (at some point) lead us to another Super Bowl. Early indications are that they will likely use this Beluga dude as a right guard.

    It is nice to see that you are able to stay in touch with your beloved Packers!

    Keep Healing My Friend!
    Larry

    ReplyDelete