Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Doing Hard Things!

I have now come to realize that over the years, as I let my body soften, I also let my mind soften. Sure I kept my mind active. Read a lot. Wrote a bit. Worked hard in the classroom. Prepared practices and game plans. Went on a few hikes. But over all I never really challenged myself to have to fight through things. At least not physical things.

Now during my seventh month of training it has become so very obvious that a tough mind is critical to doing hard things. Back in March, as soon as I got fatigued, I would back off, or walk, or even head back home. Now when I get tired, I am confident that I can fight through the pain. When my heart rate jumps, I focus on my breathing. When a steep hill slaps me in the face, I concentrate hard on my form (and of course my breathing). At the end of a long run, and my legs grow weary and heavy, I simply push all pain out of my thoughts and focus on staying strong ... on staying in the moment. It works! Now when I run I am empowered at the amount of pain and misery I can fight through. It has been so very long since I have felt this fit, not just the physical end of fitness, but also the mental end.

Besides being mentally fit when I run, I have also noticed that my overall focus level is as strong as I can remember. Day to day I feel less fatigue. My energy level appears to run much deeper than even just a few months ago. My lesson plans are sharper; my mind is more aware, and active and creative. Even after long runs I maintain the ability to come home and finish projects. I do admit that I still can't keep up with my six year old, but the reality is that very few of her friends can keep up with her either.

So as I move into these last few months of training I realize that I must continue to push the envelope. I must continue to put myself in places where I must fight to finish. I must seek discomfort and pain, and then center my attention to the other side. On February 26th, during my 50 km jaunt, I know that it will not simply be my physical stamina that will get me through. Just as important and just as crucial will be my mental stamina.

With fitness comes endurance, and with endurance comes pain. With pain comes pleasure, and when I feel the pleasure of misery ... then it is assured that my mental state is strong and sturdy!

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    Go hard mate! Kia kaha! (Be Strong)
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robb! I am having a great time.

    Big race this weekend: a 12 k through the hills and woods of Indian Lake County Park. It will be a great test.

    ReplyDelete