Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Four Months ... and a Setback

Tonight we are hunkered down. It's too windy to venture anywhere. Yesterday we had 30 mph winds with gusts to 40 and 50. Today the winds are blowing consistently at 40 mph with gusts between 60 and 70. Its windy, winds like I've never seen before ... and there is no place to go. Carri and I are both off work tomorrow and Friday.  It's our annual late-October teachers' convention. Two non-contract days to do as we please. This year we are staying in Madison and are caring for Chloe. She had a tonsillectomy last Thursday and we are just trying to keep her comfortable. Lots of ice-cream, lots of love, and lots of movies. And I'm getting a bit stir-crazy. One can only take so much Spongebob.

I haven't run in a week. Between Chloe's surgery, a 36 hour stay at the hospital helping Chloe get hydrated, a horribly wet Sunday, and now the worst windstorm in over 60 years... I've been a bit sluggish. I lifted weights a couple of times and last night went out back to work on some sport specific lunges. It felt good. Tonight the winds are supposed to calm down, and tomorrow morning I'm looking forward to getting into Elver Park. Gotta make it happen. Wind or no wind.

As of yesterday I am four months out from the Birkie. After my run at Indian Lake I was feeling pumped and primed for the race. Feeling like I was making terrific gradual progress. Now after a week of inactivity, I am worried that I can't afford the unexpected time off. Hopefully the layoff won't set me back much. After the race my legs were feeling a bit tired and then last week the two runs were both struggles. Heavy legs mainly. I gotta believe that tomorrow they will feel a refreshed...and I'm certain I will be motivated.

And yet as I worry about having a set back, the daunting reality I face is that the Birkie is slowly creeping closer. The weather is becoming a bit more unpredictable, daylight is shrinking, and my opportunities for exercise are more limited than they were this summer. I know we are still a ways out from snow, and yet now I am beginning to dream about it a bit. I know that seems crazy to many, yet I also realize that my most important training lies on the nordic ski trails of Dane County. My initial goal was to build a base before the ski season so that I could spend December, January, and February working on my ski skills. I have definitely built the base, and now I ready to hit the trails and strengthen the form.

In the meantime I will continue to find opportunities for fitness, dream of snow, and sign up for another race: the Berby Derby, a local 10k run on Thanksgiving morning.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe a week of rest will do you some good? Sorry to hear about your daughter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allan! I wish a tonsillectomy on no one. Chloe is a trooper, but Carri and I are running our of gas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora larry,
    I agree with Allan. I found when training for my marathons that a week to rest in the midst of it was a good thing. Even a 30-40 minute ride on a stationary bike will keep the aerobic levels up to snuff till you can get back to it. Hope your daughter is feeling better. Go Badgers! Still not completely sold on Bielama. Thought that was a bit of a cheap shot at the poor ol' Gophers.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robb,

    I agree on the cheap shot with the Gophers. It appears Bielema and Brewster did not get along well even before that game. And although I have struggled with him a bit over the past couple of years, he did coach his a** off against OSU and IOWA.

    Tonight Chloe is finally shows signs of being her sassy former self. That's a good sign...I guess. Hopefully we will get her back in school on Monday again.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete