Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Bonking...a Bit Early!

Today I skied my longest stint of the season. It was difficult. As I write this I am questioning my sanity. I am truly concerned that I am not going to be able to complete this race. By the time I finished I was completely tanked. I had little energy, a stomach ache, and could go no further. One might even call it a bonk.

For the day I made 31 kilometers...a good amount...but the Birkie is 50 kilometers and the terrain, especially the first half, is much more challenging than Mirror Lake. So my doubts creep in.

Mirror Lake State Park is a great track. Probably my favorite place to ski in the area. There are enough uphills to challenge the legs and the heart, and a couple of screaming downhills. The trails meander through a decent size forest--with a good mix between hardwoods and pines. And it is possible to ski over 14 miles of trails while only repeating .4 of a mile. Fun stuff. Good training grounds.  Lots of varied scenery is good medicine for the tired skier.

The Birkebeiner is three weeks from today. Next weekend is the Pre-Birkie--a 42 km race going uphill from Hayward Lake-- back to and around OO. With these two races coming up I knew that I needed to begin pushing harder...pushing for more distance. I knew that my current level of training was not enough. Still,  I really didn't expect to have this much trouble today. I knew I would tire, but not to the level that I did.

Reflecting upon the ski raises a couple of flags for me. First of all it appears as though I only drank about 8 oz of fluids. Not very smart. I also know that my food intake before the ski was not nearly as thought out as it should have been and that I also chose not to eat an energy bar during the training, even though I knew I was losing my strength. Again, not very smart.

The moral of the story is that next weekend is all about diet and toughness. All week I will need to monitor my food and drink. Stay away from the sweets; eat carbs, protein; drink to stay hydrated. Then I will eat a good spaghetti dinner the night before and drink enough fluid and electrolytes during the ski. If I can physically prepare my body then I can put my body in a situation where my mind can carry me through.

I know next weekend is crucial. Not just for confidence, but also for building momentum. If I can complete 42 km's next Saturday I am certain that I will be able to grind out 50 km on February 26th. Elevation gain be damned.

1 comment: