Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Race Day...360 Some Days Later

PREFACE:

Before I begin the actually post I want to briefly discuss the past two weeks. Basically it is an explanation why I have not been noting my progress. On February 12th I skied the Pre-Birkie. It is a 42 km ski race and is a prelude to The American Birkebeiner. Two days before the Pre-Birkie the Governor of Wisconsin proposed a bill that would cut teacher's salaries (and all public sector union workers) by about 8.5%. We are a two educator family, so it obviously mattered to us. The bill also proposed the elimination of collection bargaining rights that have been in place for nearly 60 years. If passed my voice in my own classroom could be severely limited. Therefore instead of spending the last two weeks training and blogging about my year long adventure, I was instead participating in demonstrations and letter writing campaigns trying to save my profession. Although our Governor did affect my training schedule, there was no way I was going to let him take this race away from me.
One of 21 waves...over 8,700 skiers this year.

RACE DAY: WAVE 8

Last night I slept horribly, and today I awoke in a bundle of nerves. I'm not sure if it was taking the past two weeks of training off, or if it was just the fact that I was now facing something that I had been preparing to attack for about a year. The morning began with a cold bus ride from Hayward to Cable. Once at the starting grounds I had to wait for almost three hours before my wave was released to the trail. The nerves never really went away while sitting (and sleeping) in Telemark Lodge.

The first 23 km of the race are brutal. Hill after hill after hill awaits the skiers. Within the first 1.5 km we ski on what is called the "power lines." At this point the course is wide, but the only view afforded  the skier is a simple steady climb. It's not pretty. Then after a very short downhill we again begin to move steadily upwards. We reached the high point of the trail quite early in the race, at about 13 km (fire tower hill), yet the next ten are just as difficult, even if they do drop in elevation a bit. Still though by the time I reached Hwy OO, the finish of the Kortelopet, I was feeling pretty good. After the OO food stop the course became quite manageable for the next 8.8 km. Lots of rolling hills, but no severe climbs, and several screaming downhills. I felt strong and I was having fun. Felt it was in the bag. We were definitely losing elevation as we made the long descent into Hayward. And that was encouraging.

But then at about 40 km the course turned upwards again. Skiers everywhere, most of them just stepping up the hills, trying to stay off of each others poles. Very little gliding. People were tired. Then we crossed over Rosie's Field and towards our last food stop. I asked a guy standing next to me if we were done with the hills yet? He smiled and said "first time?" I nodded. He said we have one more--"Bitch Hill." And it started immediately after the food station. It probably isn't even as steep as the other hills, but I am assuming its name comes because we face it after already skiing 44 km.

However after struggling to make it to the top of "Bitch Hill" skiers are provided with an encouraging sight. Below us in the distance sits Hayward and its water tower. And the only way to get there is to go downhill and across Lake Hayward. Still, after skiing this far, the end is probably about 30 minutes away as those last few kilometers are pure hell (at least one with my ability).

Taken yesterday: the finish line looking back down Main Street.

And then after skiing across Lake Hayward comes the coolest part of the race, and one of the things that drew me to this race so many years ago. The finish down Hayward's Main Street. Coming across the lake the signs tease the tired skier... 2 km left and then 1 km (1000 meters). And then 500 meters. And then we climb off the lake and turn right onto Main Street. At this point we can see the huge FINISH sign that hangs across the entire street. And fans surrounding the finish area, cheering and offering support. A beautiful sight! An emotional sight!

And so I skated up Main Street...exhausted...ecstatic...miserable...and grinning from ear to ear... I am certain I didn't look very good, but I did not care.

Tonight I can call myself an American Birkebeiner finisher.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your accomplishment and your discipline.

    TK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note Tim...it has been quite the journey. Without a doubt yesterday was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. After getting a good night's sleep I'm a little overwhelmed at the finality of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats...a fun read (and you've had an exciting time of it over the last couple of weeks). Good that you finished!

    Watch out for that letdown that happens after finishing such a majestic accomplishment. I suggest you start thinking about a new endeavor? Say a hike?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Allan...no let down yet. Still trying to get my big toes to unnumb. No discoloring so they aren't frostbit, but it feels like they are asleep. Although they are feeling better now than they did this morning. Every hour getting better.

    I am looking forward to putting the skis away and get back to running. Ezra needs some exercise...

    Thanks for following along with me on the journey. I still have a post or two to write about the day and the weekend. The Birkie is simply a really cool event. Unbelievable community support.

    A hike...I'm in...however our trip to California is on hold because of Walker's bill. If it passes our take home income will drop about 15K. Tough times ahead. Good news is that it appears one Republican has said he is going to vote NO...now we need two more.

    Take care,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia ora Larry,
    First off, hearty high five and congrats on the Birkie mate! Been really enjoyable following you, the ups and downs and questioning, and finally the whole goal coming to fruition. Just good stuff.
    Also sending best thoughts and wishes with the Walker bill. I have been posting a bit of stuff on FB, and getting into some real heavy discussions with people I know, even family, who begin to me to appear as uninformed tea baggers. I have yet to get one straight answer from any supporter of Walker as to why the police and fire unions are exempt from this proposal, aside from simply being a political payback for their endorsement. Which if it is the case is near criminal. What disturbs me more is the complete lack of empathy from the other side, the total buy in of always pointing the finger down instead of up to the Koch's to the Americcans for Prosperity, to the 1% of Americans who own 90% of the wealth (or whatever disturbing figure it is). One tea bagger wrote me and told me to get the chip off my shoulder, and that his answer to my writing of inequality and lack of real justice in this issue was 'Life is Unfair'. Well, life has been unfair for a whole shitload of people around the world and in America for a very long time now. And if those right wing rich fat cats don't start looking around this will be only the tip of the ice berg. Wish I was in Madison e hoa. Kia kaha!
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Robb...not only for your support over the past 12 months but also for the FB posts. I have been reading them, enjoying them, and hitting the LIKE button. Even responded to your friend John T. in Montana. Seems like a nice guy, woefully uninformed maybe, but sounds like he might be fun to have a beer with.

    More news on the front here. Yesterday our Governor fired the Chief of the Capitol Police. Article 1, Section 4 of the Wisconsin Constitution says that no lawful citizen can be kept from the Capitol for any reason. The law clearly states that the Capitol belongs to the people of Wisconsin. He was fired for not enforcing Walker's demand to close the Capitol.

    More news that came out is that currently Wisconsin ranks 14th in the nation in total teacher compensation. In the last 25 years our students have never ranked lower than third in national ACT results. We also currently spend (total package) of about 10,500 per student...about the bottom third in our country. If this bill passes our total compensation package will drop to an estimated 39th in the country. I am already updating my resume and starting to make phone calls.

    It will be interesting what the private sector folks say when highly qualified teachers, most with multiple Bachelor's Degrees and a large majority with Master's Degrees begin to take their jobs. For the most part we are excellent communicators, highly skilled, and have a tremendous ability to multi-task and motivate.

    I would prefer to retire as an educator. I do love what I do. And I do work my tail off everyday to provide my students with a quality education. However, I would also like to be able to put my own kids through college.

    Take care my friend.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kia ora Larry,
    My friend John is actually from Boulder Junction, Wisc., and grew up a few doors away from me in Green Bay. He is a good guy, though we have vastly different views of the world, at least we can air them with due respect.
    I see in the national stats that the states which have denied collective bargining for teachers also rank in the bottom 5 for SAT scores. Look out education system. The rich don't care as they send their kids to private schools, but the masses will then buck and roar llike no ones business. Why are the fire and police exempt from this legislation.

    ReplyDelete