Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Dancing in the Dark

On a couple of evenings a week, if one of my neighbors look out their back windows they might notice some strange activity coming from my backyard. If they look closely enough they just might see some silhouettes bouncing off the side of my house. And if they look even closer they will see someone bending and stretching and hopping across the grass. These shadows are a result of my current challenge: finding opportunities to exercise. I'm still running on the weekends. And during the first couple of weeks of November I have been fortunate enough to get in at least one weekday run, yet the past 10 days have been a struggle.

Part of the problem is that I picked up a middle school coaching job at the end of October. Before last basketball season I retired as my school's varsity girls basketball coach. After coaching at the high school level for 21 years and the last 14 as a varsity coach, I was ready for something else in my life. I haven't missed it much, and yet not having that extra money has been an adjustment for our family. Last year my athletic director needed some help for the boys middle school team. Being a good team player and knowing that we could use the money for the holidays, my wife and I figured I should coach. I enjoyed it. Low stress. Good pay. And the six-week season ends before Christmas. And now I am back for a second year.

This year however the coaching challenges my training schedule. So to compensate for my lack of time during the week, I am moving to the darkness of my backyard a couple of times a week. I have a series of stretches and sport-specific muscle building exercises I use. I am using a training video I found on the American Birkebeiner website. It's good stuff. And most importantly, the exercises can be completed in the darkness of night in about 30-45 minutes. Although these exercises don't help my cardiovascular much, they still keep me strong, and focused, and motivated.

There are two different videos that I dedicate most of my time, but the one I am including here is my favorite. Although my backyard does not have a hill, I still find these to be effective exercises on the flats. And obviously these exercises work well on the hills of Elver Park.



So as I work my way through the last few weeks of the basketball season I will continue to dedicate a bit of time every week to a little dancing in the dark.

Tonight I'll be dancing beneath a moon three days shy of full.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    Cool to read you have your hand back in the coaching game again. Hopefully not the pressure of the high school gigs and just able to have some fun.
    These exercises in the dark of the night in the back yard. Why do I hear the Grateful Dead somehow accompanying you? I wouldn't worry too much about neighbors seeing that Larry. Peeking over one of our fences in Madison 25 years ago he might have had something to worry about:) Keep on Truckin' brother! Happy Thanksgiving.
    Kia kaha
    Robb

    ReplyDelete