Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

November Nuances

I can't blame the weather. Yesterday in the upper Midwest the temperature was close to 70. I can't blame daylight saving times. Running in the dark is not completely foreign to me...in fact sometimes it is kind of fun. I can't blame my daughter's tonsillectomy. She has regained her health and her energy and her zest for life. But for whatever reason, November training sessions are proving to be a challenge. I'm still getting them done, but now more than ever I need to prod myself out the door.

It appears I have hit a wall. I need snow. I need the cold. I know that sounds a bit crazy. And the rest of my family is protesting my own desires. But I'm ready to slap on the skis and kick my way around Elver. I'm ready for the stillness and serenity of snow covered cross-country ski trails. I am anxious to see what kind of fitness level I have reached. I remember clearly how difficult the hills were last January and February, but now that I have nine months of hill-training behind me, I want to see what kind of core I have built up.

November is kind of the tweener month. Unless one is a hard core cyclist, biking appears past its prime season. Running is still doable, but instead of wooded trails, too much of my running is on the streets. Swimming is out of the question as our membership is with an outdoor pool. Yesterday however, because of the warmer weather and the recent dry spell, I was able to get into Elver. It felt good. Ezra was psyched and we saw no one. The trees are now barren and the fallen leaves cover the trails. The late afternoon light keeps the woods in a prolonged glow, and the directional signs on the ski trails have replaced the disc golf signs. All signs point towards the ski season. Towards winter recreation!

And so I wait. I still run. I still lift weights. I have replaced my biking with sport-specific exercises. I now retreat to the darkness and lunge my way across the backyard. I hop in place. I work on getting low and exploding into an upright position. The fear of the Birkie's length keeps me motivated. Yet still, my psyche screams for snow.

2 comments:

  1. A friend wrote me to tell me that snow was on the way for your neck of the woods. Your gift is on the way...

    By the way, every time I read one of these training things it makes me feel immensely guilty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allan,

    Thanks for following along. It's been a long journey. No guilt needed, just trying to plug away. It's fun...I'm feeling healthy.

    I like your friend's optimism. I have heard kind of the same thing: An average amount of snow in southern Wisconsin, and a better than average amount of snow in the north. That combination would work just fine for me. A good excuse to go north and I already have three trips planned to the cabin in January and February.

    Take care,

    Larry

    ReplyDelete