Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Blueberry in the Cold!

Looking east...and a hair north.
It's Friday. It's three o'clock in the afternoon. And it is 1 degree below zero outside. Early morning wind chills hit as low as -30. Most of the schools up here were out for a "cold day." I am fortunate enough to be inside the cabin, warmed by the hot-chocolate and wood-burning stove and comforted by whiteness and stillness.

I am at the Blueberry Lake compound for the weekend. Back in December, way before I could even guess about a weather report, I signed up to ski the Birkie Tour. It is an untimed, non-competitve, supported ski along the Birkie Trail. I figured it would be a good way to get reacquainted with the trail, work on learning to drink and eat at the food stops, and hang with some skiers.  It's tomorrow morning. And the predicted air temperature at start time is -2 with a wind chill somewhere around -14.  Should be fun.

From the front, looking south. Doesn't Look Cold?
So tonight I am going to enjoy the solitude. I'll grade a few exams, cook a tasty meal, wax my skis, and then finish the evening with a snowshoe out on the lake. I'm sure I won't last long, but I want to experience this cold.  I want to take a wander! 

6 comments:

  1. Kia ora Larry,
    Should be awesome and imagine you will warm up quickly! The wintry surrounds at the cabin and the wood fire read great. If I weren't skiing I would have a nice wee dram of something stronger than hot chocolate in my tin mug! Hope it goes well mate. Go Pack! Sucks it is on FOX as we don't get it here, so will have to follow online. Should be a ripper.
    Cheers,
    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robb,

    Saving the dram for tomorrow night AFTER I have survived the ski. It's gonna be cold man. Gonna be wearing some extra protection around the boys.

    Nervous about Sunday! I know we are better than the Bears, and yet I have felt all year like the stars are shining on those Bears.

    Too bad you can't catch it live. It should be a great ballgame. NFC Championship against the Bears is just too theater!

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great winter evening...enjoy! And good luck tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Larry,
    I know! The Pack and Bears in the NFC Championship! The enormity of that is difficult to get across to people when you live in a foreign land dominated by rugby and cricket. There are a few who understand. I will spend Monday(here) with them.
    My take mate is it will be a typical Packer vs. Da Bears game in shitty Central Division conditions. It will be close. The potential exists for the Packers to blow the doors off them, but not the other way. It will very close or we will bust it out. Our team is playing too well on offense and defense for that to happen. My worry is special teams, especially in a close contest. The Pack fears no one that is for sure, and if we neutralize Peppers and move the ball, and put pressure on them defensively, eventually Cutler will lose his cool and force something. He is like Farve that way. Clifton is the key to this game. Our offensive line is key. Caper's has done a masterful job filling holes and coming up with clever game plans, and Thompson deserves a lot of kudo's for that as well in giving him the bodies to do so. Being hated so much for letting that big baby go is unwarranted. Read any statement from Farve and what always stands out to me is how many times he uses the pronoun "I". Seriously. He was good, great at times, but most of his time with the Pack he had good people around him as well. I love Rodgers, and if it ain't this year the organization will get a ring or two before he is done. Go Pack! Bring the Bacon Home to Ol' Green Bayaaaayyy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allan,

    I read an article in backpacker magazine that says hiking is a better weight loss plan than running. Makes me think I may have to reevaluate this Birkyness stuff after February 26th.

    I don't know if you got my e-mail a couple of weeks ago but I do believe that a trip up Half-Dome can happen early next August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Larry,

    Sorry, I missed that e-mail. August sounds great! Meet ya at Half Dome (I'll bring Joni and the girls). Camp at one of the housekeeping camps?

    ReplyDelete