Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Will it Go Round in Circles


Reading the ski reports yesterday, I came across this interesting description on skinnyskis.com: "This is a good time to download some Billy Preston on your iPod. The only skiing in the Milwaukee area is the 1.2K loop of manmade snow at Lapham Peak. Will you go round in circles?"

Although I don't ski with an iPod I did find the time and energy to drive to Lapham Peak, about an hour east of Madison, located in the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. The skating was a bit challenging at first. I had trouble holding an edge and it took me a long while before I felt comfortable on my skies. Might have been the man-made snow, or it might have been the lack of wax, but my heavy legs, sore shins, achy ankle, and a week and a day off made for a difficult ski. But I kept going, kept humming a little Billy Preston, kept counting my trips up and down the only small hill on the track, and eventually worked my way around the 1.2 km loop 20 times...for a total of 24 km.

Even with the struggles however, it felt great to be back on the skis. And besides finding snow I also discovered a new area and witnessed a beautiful sunset. Still though, what we need the most around here is a snowstorm or two.

1 comment:

  1. Love that tune!

    Good luck up there!

    We actually 'visited' during our Trek to The Tundra - we drove to Eden Prairie MN from Romeoville IL via Wisconsin -

    AND hit a cheese shoppe in DeForest!

    ReplyDelete