Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

A December Disaster: Warmth and Rain!

December dropped almost 21" of snow on the ground...about eight more than normal. The trails all over the state were in excellent shape. The trails locally had about a five inch base...a strong base so early in the ski season. Obviously, things were in great shape. I was feeling strong and enjoying my daily trips onto the ski trails. And I was beginning to gain tremendous confidence in my ability to ski 50 km. I knew that if I continued to ski about three to four times a week, saving the weekends for long exhausting tours, that I would indeed be able to fight my way to Hayward's main street.

And then it came: A late December melt has destroyed our snow. Two and half straight days of temperatures above 32 degrees. In fact, Thursday topped out at 40, while New Year's Eve day topped out at 46 degrees. Yesterday, along with the warmer temperatures came a long miserable rain. The chronic winter complainers are happy--a respite from their miserable indoor existence.  The skiers are now the complainers,  searching the long-term forecast for any evidence of snow. Only flurries are in sight, and the Birkie is only 57 days away.

So now once I again I must readjust my psyche. I must again lace up the running shoes and head back to the pavement. I must fight off the bad weather and learn to love running the streets of a dirty and yucky Madison.

A tough start to the New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like the new photos. What's wrong with this picture: I've got snow in my yard; you have rain. :)

    ReplyDelete