Documents my intellectual, psychological, philosophical, and physical pursuit of the
38th American Birkebeiner: Saturday, February 26, 2011.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Cold, Hard Ski...

Sculpture at the halfway point of the American Birkebeiner.
Temperatures were below zero when I hit the Birkie Trail Saturday morning. The snow was slow...or sharp...as hard-core ski waxers will tell you. In fact I was told before the event started that skate skiers would find squeaky snow. And squeaky snow is slow snow. Therefore the cold was never really the problem. I dressed well. I had five layers on the bottom and four on the top. My cheeks were the only part of my skin that weren't covered, and I put some skin protector stuff on those. So as it turned out I had lot more problems with my glide than I did with the cold...although the two are related.

Winter enthusiasts hanging around in the cold!
I read last night that when temperatures get below 10 degrees the snow gets aggressive and starts to grab at skis. Never before did I realize that snow - especially cold snow - has such basic human personality flaws. The writer mentioned all sorts of solutions, only one of which I could attend to, waxing my own skis. But I have two problems with waxing: I'm horrible at it and I find it a bit tedious. I know it is important, but there are so many other things I would rather do than wax a ski. Still though I did take some time to apply two layers last night. But my lack of care hurt me this morning. I am certain I should have taken another hour and waxed at least one more time.

Chili and hot chocolate outside the warming huts.
Today's ski was my most challenging ski of the year. Because of the cold they shortened the race. Instead of starting from Telemark and skiing towards OO, we went from OO to the Fire Tower aid station using the Birkie Skate Trail, and then returned back to OO along the Birkie Classic Trail. Although this setup worked well, and was quite scenic, we had to climb the most challenging hill on the course twice. The volunteer at the Fire Tower told us that we "just skied the most difficult 2 km...in North America." I assume he is exaggerating a bit, especially considering that we are in Wisconsin and not the Rocky Mountains, but I do know that it was the most challenging 2 km I have ever skated. Up, up, and up we skated, a painful experience that has forced me to evaluate how I must attack these last 34 days of training.

As I talked with skiers their complaints were always about the snow ... not the cold. Several times while climbing the hills I could feel the snow grabbing my ski. Literally trying to stop my skis and send me over the tips of my skis. The climbs were slow, methodical, and ridiculously long. The downhills were still fun, but since it felt as though most of my time was spent plodding up the hills, the fun times were rare and difficult to recall. Hopefully when I come back in three weeks for the Pre-Birke the temperatures will be warmer and the snow faster.

Gobs of warm chili after a cold ski.
After the ski however the American Birkebeiner Foundation served up a great spread for the weary skiers. Chili, hot-dogs, cookies, and hot chocolate helped ease the fatigue. I chowed a couple of bowls of the chili and got back some of the energy I expired.

No comments:

Post a Comment